COIPA offers a unique experience in Central Oregon and the Columbia Gorge for Physician and Associate providers to become involved in the medical decisions that affect their practices. COIPA was formed in 1992 by physicians in a seven county service area for the purpose of proactively dealing with managed care. Since then, COIPA has grown to a twelve county service area including Crook, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klickitat, Lake, Sherman, Skamania, Wasco and Wheeler Counties. COIPA is comprised of approximately 692 members representing physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, podiatrists, optometrists, certified nurse anesthetists and certified nurse midwives.
COIPA members must meet certain criteria as defined in COIPA Bylaws to apply for and maintain COIPA membership, including:
– Licensure as a MD, DO, PA, NP, CNM, CRNA, OD or DPM from the appropriate state licensing board in Oregon or Washington.
– Hospital privileges as defined in the COIPA Bylaws and policies and procedures at a hospital located in the COIPA service area, when appropriate.
– Callshare with COIPA members of the same specialty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
– Maintain a residence within COIPA’s twelve county service area.
– Maintenance of medical malpractice insurance with a minimum coverage of $1 million per incident, $3 million aggregate.